Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not So Fast

I may have had a change of heart about selling the B.  It's almost drivable now.  I've almost finished the interior.  There are still some things that need work but to be honest, I find comfort in that.  If I can get it into drivable condition and to a point where I trust that when I get in it, it is going to start and get me to point B, and then start again and bring me home, I'll be happy.  I've found a sense of peace in working on the B.  It's been a pretty big part of my life for about 7 years now. 

I've only driven it a handful of times in the period: 
  • Once soon after I first got it to evaluate its condition in order to prioritize the future of the project
  • A couple of times after replacing the pistons and rod bearings - then the clutch release bearing went out on me and I lost heart for awhile knowing the engine would have to come out.  I also made a big move soon after which put the B on the back burner.
  • A few times after repairing the release bearing and replacing the clutch.  While the engine was out I had the bearing surfaces on the crankshaft machined and the flywheel resurfaced.  It ran okay for awhile but I could tell something wasn't quite right and it only got worse over time.
I'm finally at a point where I believe I have all of the major mechanical and electrical issues resolved.  I'm looking forward to getting it off the jack stands and seeing it on it's own wheels again.  I'm looking forward to strapping into the driver's seat and going for a drive.  I'm hoping it's good to drive for awhile before I have to do anymore real fixing.  I know there are some projects that will need to be done, but I'm hoping I can drive it and do them on my time rather than having to park it until I can get the next project done.

I'm hoping the B and I cover many miles together over the next 7 years.

No comments: