Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Not much progress, still evaluating

I didn't really expect to make much progress over the last few days, and I've not exceeded my expectations. I have gotten a start on taking the dash out to replace the wiring harness that was cut.

The nuts that need to be removed to get the dash out are somewhat hard to get to. The key is to remove anything that could be in the way. So far I've taken out the glovebox and the vents in the center of the dash. The wiper motor was also already hanging loose. I think if it hadn't been, I might have had to move it also. Being able to move it around helped me reach the first nut on the drivers side. Removing those things allowed access to the 3 passenger side mounting points. I have a feeling the 3 on the drivers side may be a little more difficult, as there is more wiring and stuff to get in the way. Hopefully, I'll get started on that tonight when everyone goes to bed, as that has become the only time I get to myself anymore.

Once I've removed the dash, I'll be able to easily remove the windshield which will be necessary before I take her to be painted. That's getting a little ahead of myself, though. Painting is way down the priority list, just before the interior.

This dash isn't exactly like mine, but the mounting points are the same, so provides a good reference. #6 was easy. #5 is immediately above the glove box, # 4 is immediately above the air vents. I haven't done 1, 2, or 3 yet. 1 looks easy. 2 looks to be a real pain, as it's directly above the steering column, which can't be moved without great effort. I'll probably have to use a swiveling extension of some sort to get up in there. I'm not sure about #3. I'll just have to see what's in the way up there.

As I take off parts, I am putting them in plastic zip-loc bags and labeling them with a permanent marker. I'm sure this will help when it comes time to re-assemble. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep track of all the zip loc bags I'm accumulating.

I've also removed the alternator, as it is the wrong one for the new harness. Turns out it will be easier to remove the alternator and trade for the right one than it will be to deal with the wiring harness. Alternator removal took all of 10 minutes. Two bolts at the swivel point and one on the adjustment bracket and zip-a-dee-doo-dah, she was out.

I got started removing the radiator as well. It's almost out, but one of the radiator mounting bolts is rusted to the point it won't move, so I'll have to cut it out.

Speaking of cutting, I'll be visiting our local Harbor Freight tools soon to purchase a new angle grinder. I'll use that to cut the radiator mounting bold and more importantly to cut out the rusted sheet metal in the floor pan and dog legs.

No comments: