Monday, June 02, 2008

Long Time No Post

Wow, it's been awhile, huh? 3 1/2 years? Really? It doesn't seem like that long.

Here's a little update on what happened between 10/26/2004 and today:

1. I went through the brakes and clutch, replacing both master cylinders and the clutch slave.

2. Stripped it down to bare metal and painted it BMW Pepper White. I'll post a picture shortly of the car with paint. It's a common color on the new Mini's. It's a creamy white color.

3. Replaced the pistons. One had a hole in it. I didn't see any damage to the cylinder bore, so I decided to just put in four new pistons and rings and go with it. The budget didn't (and still doesn't) allow for a complete rebuild.

4. Since I had the oil pan off anyway, I replaced the rod bearings while I was at it. It's an easy job with the engine in the car if you don't mind getting dirty.

5. When I pulled the oil pan I noticed why I wasn't able to get any oil pressure, despite what seemed like hours of battery draining cranking. The body of the oil pump was broken in half. If I find the picture I'll post it. It's really bizarre. I think someone must have tried to jack the car using the oil pan, as it was a little dented in. The weight of the car would have been on the oil pump. The oil pump was just not designed to support the weight of the entire car. Imagine that.

6. Replaced the broken piece of the oil pump thanks to a kind soul (can't remember his name) on The MG Experience.

7. Compression tested the engine. Compression is on the low side at between 125 & 130, but is consistent across all 4 cylinders.

8. Finally got it started, titled, and registered.

9. Added seatbelts, put some temporary covers over the decaying seats, and took her for a drive or two.

10. Blew out the clutch throw out bearing on the first real drive. Must have been pretty brittle from sitting all that time. It also probably had alot of miles on it.

11. Parked the car, frustrated in the knowledge that I would have to pull the engine.

12. Moved several hundred miles, dragging the B behind a Uhaul.

13. Parked the B outside (poor thing) behind a shed while living in a rental without a garage.

14. Moved a few more miles to a nicer rental with a garage.

15. Realized once again that I have the best wife in the whole world when she didn't hesitate to encourage me to spend the money to get the B back on the road.

Where am I now? Check back soon for big news and dirty pictures of MGB parts spread here and yon.

No comments: